Wednesday 8 February 2012

I've gone DIY Crafting crazy! Part 4. Unique Collar Bib

I was inspired firstly, by a garment that arrived at COS. It was a scallop collared, shirt bib. Let me elaborate, It's like a shirt without arms. It stays in place with elastic fastenings under your arms to keep the front and back flaps joined, thus it doesn't wrinkle under your clothes. You basically wear it under dresses, jumpers to give the impression of a shirt, a very cute shirt. Unfortunately I can't find an image anywhere! I hope I've made sense? At the time I wasn't as keen as to buy one but since we've completely sold out, I'm loving it!
I then saw this image..and became even more inspired.

S/S sees a massive embellishment of collars. Already I've spotted some 'Equipment' shirts at work with a great metal edging.(I also am going to try and make my own collar tips at some point) So i went to the Chazza's one day, with one mission, to find a shirt with a nice collar and not too hideous a pattern! Quite difficult! but I succeeded. Bought a shirt for £1.TICK.

Next I took the shirt and savagely cut it, without thinking. But somehow it worked! I pencilled on a bib shape and I was left with a bib shape. Phew. Next I took some bond-a-web (the stuff of dreams) and carefully ironed a clean edge, again with success.
I managed to buy some studs, not pointed as I'd hoped for but rounded from yes, The Fent Shop, 4p a pop. Next I used a cork mat and hammered each stud onto the collar and used tweezers to push the spikey bits closed. Here's an image mid-way through.


I deicded that I'd like full coverage so I bought some more studs and continued. To finish, I then sewed some elastic from front to back to keep the bib in place. In total, I spent £15, I think you'd agree this is a fine investment! I'll be wearing it under coral jumpers and mint green tees this Spring.

The finished product...

No comments:

Post a Comment